Are you in the market for a window replacement? You could be looking at hundreds of dollars in installation costs. However, you could gain returns on your investment if you choose high-quality, energy-efficient windows. While you may be hesitant at the initial cost, high-quality windows will provide both eco-friendly and economic-friendly qualities to you and your home or business for years to come.
Energy Efficiency Saves Money
According to the United States Department of Energy, 25% to 30% of residential heating and cooling costs comes from heat gain and loss through windows. That amount can lead to hundreds or even thousands of dollars of unnecessary costs per year. However, energy-efficient windows can reduce heat gain and loss, reducing your overall heating and cooling costs.
Qualities of an Energy-Efficient Window
When looking for an energy-efficient window replacement, look for these qualities:
- Only choose windows with Energy Star or National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) ratings.
- Choose windows with a low solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC). This means that the window does not allow too much solar radiation inside. Choose a low SHGC if you live in a warmer area.
- If you live in a colder area, consider a gas-filled window with low-E coatings to reduce your home's heat loss. Select windows with coatings if you live in a warmer area.
- Choose windows with low U-factors (the rate at which a window conducts heat from the sun) and low SHGCs if you live in a temperate climate.
Updating Existing Windows
If you are wondering how you can update your existing windows to become more energy efficient, follow these tips:
- Caulk and weather-strip your windows
- Add storm windows and solar control films
- Add exterior shadings and window coverings
- Examine windows for air leaks
Are you looking for high-quality, energy-efficient windows for your Rochester home or business? Contact Wonder Windows today to learn more about our installation services and pricing.